If you wish to apply for financial aid at Hastings College of the Law you must submit:
FOR 1L (ENTERING, PROSPECTIVE and ADMITTED) STUDENTS:
FOR 2L, 3L (CONTINUING and TRANSFER STUDENTS):
Continuing students who wish to apply for Federal Work-Study must also submit:
Critical Deadlines for the 2014-15 academic year:
February 17, 2014:
Priority deadline for continuing students to receive full consideration for Federal Work-Study, Hastings Grant, and Federal Perkins loans. Your FAFSA and Supplement must be submitted or postmarked on or before February 17, 2014.
March 3, 2014:
Priority deadline for applicants and admitted students to receive full consideration for Hastings Grant and Federal Perkins loans.
June 13, 2014:
In order to ensure that your loan funds will arrive by the beginning of the fall term, we must receive award letters, and any necessary loan applications with the Department of Education as soon as possible.
FINANCIAL AID "TO DO" CHECKLIST
- Submit the 2014-15 FAFSA to the U.S. Department of Education central processor. You may submit the 2014-15 FAFSA after January 1, 2014 on-line at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/. When you complete the FAFSA, be sure to designate UC-Hastings College of the Law in the school section and include our School Code, G03947. You are encouraged to complete your 2013 tax return early so that this information is available when you complete the FAFSA. Nevertheless, if you have not yet completed your 2013 federal tax return, use estimated figures rather than missing the deadline. Update the FAFSA with the correct tax data after you file your federal tax form.
- Submit the Need Access form (for entering students by the March 3, 2014, priority deadline or as soon as possible after that date); Submit the Hastings Financial Aid Supplement form (for continuing students by February 17, 2014).
- Review the Student Aid Report (SAR) After submitting the FAFSA, you should receive a Student Aid Report (SAR). Carefully review the SAR and submit any corrections to the processing center. If your SAR is selected for verification, we will request that you complete a Verification Worksheet and submit a copy of your federal tax return. If any action on your part is indicated on the SAR, follow the instructions promptly. A delay in resolution of a federal edit will delay the processing of your financial aid. If you would like to check on your FAFSA, call 1.800.433.3243.
- Review the Award Letter: When your file is complete, we will produce an electronic award letter for you outlining your financial aid package. When you receive this letter, please complete and submit it indicating what types of financial aid you wish to accept. If you find out about any additional resources not reflected on the award letter, you must notify the Financial Aid Office in writing as soon as possible.
- Apply for Loans: If you would like to apply for Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford, or Federal Graduate PLUS loans, follow instructions at this link:"Apply for Direct Loans".
Note: If you plan to apply for the Federal Graduate PLUS loan make sure you resolve any negative issues relating to your personal credit report, as these are credit-based loans. You may access a free credit report online at AnnualCreditReport.com.
Call the Hastings Financial Aid Office at 415.565.4624 if you have any questions.