Each of the LfA sites now taking applications from the members of the Class of 2016 is listed below, along with the number of fellows each wishes to find, the materials needed to be submitted by each applicant, and (coming soon!) the link to the Qualtrics site for creating your application. A separate application is required for each site; however, you may cut and paste responses into Qualtrics from a word processor, and from one application to another. Click on the name of the site to access the site’s LfA Partnership Proposal or other information, and on the words "Apply here" for the application for that site.
Legal Services for Prisoners with Children, San Francisco: 1 fellow (Tentative -- ability to hire fellow depends in part on budget and applicant qualifications). Apply here.
Unfortunately, the Contra Costa Superior Court is not able to hire a fellow this term.
Before applying for this program please keep in mind:
1) You may apply to more than one of the partner sites; you will need to submit a separate online application for each site. This will allow you to personalize your answers for each site.
2) During the training year of your fellowship, which is your third year at UC Hastings, you will receive a total of 24 units (8 classroom, 16 non-classroom) for your participation in this program.
3) Other than classroom time related to the program and any coursework (which must be approved by your work site), you will be focused on your externship (with 32 hours per week expected). Your work schedule will extend from the first week of instruction in the fall semester until the end of the last week prior to the week that includes graduation, and will include work time in December and January, according to your site's work schedule. That means you will be working during part of the UC Hastings winter break.
4) During the training year, the LfA faculty supervisor will oversee your academic progress as well as supervisors at your placement site. The classroom component of the externship will require reading, writing, and meetings or conferences, at the discretion of the faculty supervisor. Your placement supervisor will coordinate with your faculty supervisor to assure your ability to attend class meetings and meet other academic requirements.
5) After graduation you will be given a period of up to three months to prepare for and take the California Bar Examination, followed by a short vacation. Thereafter you will be obligated to work in your placement for one year (the service year). During the service year you will be an employee of Lawyers for America, with an annual stipend of $35,000 (paid biweekly). Lawyers for America will pay for a health insurance policy for you.
6) A committee of UC Hastings faculty will screen applications for this program and forward those of finalists to the LFA coordinator at the placements to which you have applied. The placements’ LFA coordinators will decide which finalists to invite for interviews. The placements’ LFA coordinators will make offers of the fellowship positions, and may also select a “wait list.” Students offered fellowship positions will be given up to 10 days to decide whether to accept and to be prepared to sign the employment contracts. (A template for the contracts is available here).
7) Before accepting an offer, you must meet with LfA Academic Director Mai Linh Spencer to review your plan to meet all graduation requirements consistent with participation in LfA.
8) Please note: before making offers, some sites may require applicants to answer the following question (or one that is similar): "Have you ever been convicted of any offense by a civilian or military court? If yes, please note the date and place of each offense, the specific charge, the date and place of conviction, and the fine or sentence received. You may omit traffic violations for which the only penalty imposed was a fine of less than $100." A criminal record is not necessarily a bar to participation in LFA at placement sites; each case is given individual consideration, based on job-relatedness. If you have a question about this criterion, you may contact Professor Linh Spencer, who can seek an answer, without revealing your name, from placement officials before you complete the application.
Want to hear from current fellows? http://vimeo.com/uchastings/lfa
Questions? Email Professor Mai Linh Spencer email@example.com