UC Law SF Students Staying Energized at the California Public Utilities Commission

As part of their summer of law, UC Law SF students Kimberly Willis, Nirvesh Sikand, and Samantha Ricci are feeling empowered by their summer at the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC). The CPUC regulates privately owned utility and transportation companies in California and serves the public interest by protecting consumers with a commitment to environmental enhancement and a healthy California economy.

Below, the students answer some questions about themselves, their experience at UC Law SF law school, and their internship at the CPUC this summer.

Rising 2L Kimberly Willis

Where are you from?

KW: I’m from Castro Valley, a suburban town in the East Bay.

What did you want to be when you grew up?

KW: As a young child I knew becoming a fairy princess or an astronaut just wasn’t going to cut it for me. Instead, I wanted to be “Queen of the World.”

Why did you decide to come to UC Law SF?

KW: I have deep roots in the Bay Area and wanted to stay close to my hometown and my friends. However, I also wanted a law school with a close-knit alumni community. This made UC Law SF the perfect fit for me. Attending the first law school founded in California has exposed me to a huge alumni network full of warm and welcoming attorneys. The connections I’ve already made as a 1L have helped me learn more about the rewards and challenges in my field of interest.

Are you focusing on any type of law and why?

KW: I’m pursuing Environmental Law with a focus on Water Law. Water is one of our most important natural resources. It is vital we ensure communities have access to sustainable sources of safe drinking water. It is also important we protect water sources from pollution and overuse so the many animals and ecosystems that depend on them can continue to exist. Growing populations, climate change, and polluting industries are putting unprecedented pressure on our water systems. Some have even predicted that the next world war will be fought over water. I want to be part of a solution that protects and sustains clean water sources on our planet. My goal is to save the world – one stream, river, or lake at a time.

What are you doing for the California Public Utilities Commission?

KW: This summer I’ve been conducting statutory analysis and researching water regulatory issues. I often feel like I’m reliving my Environmental Law statutory class and am grateful Professor David Takacs and UC Law SF rigorously prepared me for many of the assignments I’ve taken on this summer.

What’s the absolute best part of your summer gig?

KW: The most rewarding aspect is playing a role in shaping the future policies that the CPUC is instituting in California. This state is on the cutting edge of many regulatory issues, and the policies the Commission enacts often set the bar for what other states later hope to accomplish. It has been an incredible experience to participate in meaningful legal research that contributes to shaping those policies.

How are you working #ForJustice?

KW: Justice should not just be available for those who can afford it. Justice should also be available for the nearly 1/3 of Californians who lack adequate income to meet their basic needs each month. I am working #ForJustice at the CPUC this summer by researching legal issues involving low-income water programs in California to ensure that everyone has access to affordable water.

Rising 3L Nirvesh Sikand

What have you been doing for the CPUC this summer?

NS: I’ve worked on many different cases involving the regulation of energy, safety, water, telecommunications, and the implementation of key bills, such as AB32 (Assembly Bill 32, which requires California to reduce its Greenhouse Gas emissions to 1990 levels by 2020) and SB 350 (Senate Bill 350, also known as the Clean Energy & Pollution Reduction Act).

NS: The best part is having the opportunity to work with such brilliant and caring people, while also learning from top experts in the field.

How are you working #ForJustice?

NS: The CPUC is a huge state agency supporting California in its fight against climate change. I want to be a part of this movement to effect change in whatever capacity I can to ensure a safe and clean environment for my children. The future needs an environment where people can breathe clean air and drink clean water.

Rising 3L Samantha Ricci

What are you doing this summer at the CPUC?

SR: I’m a serving as a law clerk in the Legal Division of the CPUC.

How did you hear of this opportunity?

SR: I learned about the opportunity on the Public Interest/Public Service Career Day on campus.

SR: Getting to work on so many pressing issues relating to climate change and energy policy in California and a wide variety of issues from energy law, GHG emissions, the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), Uber regulations, FCC Open Internet Policy, and water law issues to name a few. It never gets boring because the CPUC handles so many different issues!

How are you working #ForJustice?

SR: California must take the lead on these initiatives and continue to fight for sensible solutions to climate change. The CPUC is a leading agency in trying to solve these issues and I’m helping them take on this fight! Needless to say, it has been an exciting summer working on these issues.

What are your plans for the fall semester?

SR: I have a few more courses in Environmental Law lined up. I’m also participating in an Environmental Law externship at the Center for Biological Diversity (CBD), which I’m really looking forward to!