Annual Report 2017

Introduction to the UC Hastings Annual Report 2017, by Chancellor & Dean David Faigman:

I am a firm believer in the notion that silent gratitude isn’t much use to anyone. So, thank you. Thank you for believing in UC Hastings. Thank you for believing in me. And, thank you for working with me this past year towards our joint vision of excellence, community, and progress. Thank you for your time, ideas, financial contributions, and resolve, and for showing the world what UC Hastings stands for. There is no limit to the heights we can reach when we work together. We have an accomplished history and much yet to accomplish. I look forward to working with you and the entire UC Hastings community as we continue to build on our tradition of excellence.

Cover to the UC Hastings Annual Report 2017
Click on the Cover Art to view the UC Hastings Annual Report 2017.

This Annual Report details your tremendous contributions in financial terms. It also proves that our work together has begun to bear fruit in the forms of academic partnerships, architectural plans, exceptional scholarship, and successful graduates. What I wish it could capture is the spirit of the College, our alumni, students, faculty, staff and friends. Your generosity and commitment to our shared values are inspirational.

Over the course of fiscal year 2017, we raised a total of $5.7 million. Of that, $2.3 million funded scholarships for the best and brightest future lawyers in the country. The $825,000 raised for capital projects through the Building UC Hastings campaign pushed the total to over $2.1 million and will help fund an expansive academic quad and skybridge, defining characteristics of our new academic building at 333 Golden Gate, scheduled for groundbreaking in spring 2018. Finally, we raised over $940,000 for the UC Hastings Fund, essential funds that provide broad institutional support. The future of UC Hastings is here and it is bright.

Thomas Jefferson once said, “It seems the harder I work, the more luck I have.” Thank you for your hard work. There is still a lot more work to do, and I could not be more proud of the team we have assembled to do it.

In gratitude,
David Faigman
Chancellor & Dean UC Hastings College of the Law