Alumni Judges on LA County Superior Court Discuss Legal Trends

UC Law SF hosted another successful event in Southern California as four distinguished judges from the Los Angeles County Superior Court, Lisa Hart Cole ‘80, David J. Cowan ‘88, Renee Korn ‘90, B. Scott Silverman ‘75, gathered as a panel of experts to discuss current issues in Civil Law, Probate Law, Criminal Law, and Family Law.

“The UC Law SF alumni community in Southern California is very diverse and the panel of judges and the Dean speaking on a variety of different areas of the law illustrates it breadth and strength,” said James J. Mullen ’97, who generously hosted the event at the Los Angeles offices of Morrison & Foerster LLP. “The University performs a great service to the alumni community by making events like this possible and it was a great privilege to help facilitate it.”

Moderated by Chancellor & Dean David L. Faigman, who offered commentary and scholarly context, over 40 UC Law SF alumni attended this educational affair. Participants learned about the latest decisions and changes in California law, like how the Sanchez ruling affects the landscapes of Criminal, Family, and Civil Law practice.

Even on a Saturday morning, the attendees intently listened and were engaged in the conversation with the panel on the latest legal trends affecting California attorneys. They also received a little history on the host law firm, Morrison & Foerster LLP, from Chancellor & Dean Faigman. “You know Morrison was a UC Law SF grad, I believe of the first graduating class in 1881,” he remarked. “So some might say that we put the ‘Mo’ in ‘MoFo.’”

All the judges enjoyed sharing their experience with their fellow alumni as panelists. Judge Korn closed the event with a special thanks to Chancellor & Dean Faigman. “I took the Dean’s first Property Law course he taught at UC Law SF in 1987, and I didn’t do so well,” recalled Judge Korn. “But, the next year when I had him for Evidence, it changed my career path and I went from dreaming about International Law to wanting to become a courtroom lawyer. I’m here as a judge now and I want to thank him for that.”

UC Law SF continues to strengthen its presence in Southern California with alumni events like this in San Diego, Orange County, and Los Angeles to connect the more than 4,100 grads in these areas. For more information on future opportunities in SoCal or if you are interested in participating as a host or sponsor, please contact Robin Drysdale, Senior Director of Development Southern California.

###