From Environmental Sustainability to Law: Meet UC Law SF 1L Student Miranda Lockman

UC Law SF student Miranda Lockman, JD ’25, has a background in environmental sustainability and previously worked as a law firm case manager.

Incoming UC Law SF student Miranda Lockman ’25 once helped turn a barren, strip-mined piece of land into a biodiversity hotspot full of native plants, vibrant wildlife, and a picturesque nature trail.

This year, Lockman will build on her background in environmental sustainability as she pursues a law degree at UC Law SF. “I’m really interested and enthusiastic to learn more about environmental law,” she said. “But I’m going in with an open mind and eager to learn about different fields of law.”

Before pursuing law school, Lockman studied sustainability at San Diego State, where she interned with a nature conservancy and helped restore the habitat around an abandoned sand mine. Her work included flood and wildfire prevention, eliminating invasive plants, and building a nature trail.

But it was after she earned her undergraduate degree that Lockman, 25, had her first experiences in the legal field. The Orange County native worked for four years as a non-attorney case manager at two different law firms. She met with thousands of clients, discussed their physical injuries and related costs, analyzed medical records, and prepared memos for attorneys.

She recalled hearing heart-wrenching stories from people harmed by medical devices and pharmaceutical drugs. Knowing that some people would get compensated made her feel the work was worthwhile. “I felt like I was actually helping people,” she said. “I hope to do that as an attorney.”

Lockman said she has dreamed of becoming a lawyer since childhood. She chose UC Law SF in part because of its modern campus and welcoming staff and was won over after a visit last spring.  “The parts of the campus I toured were new, updated, and clean. The staff was friendly and welcoming. The sky deck is gorgeous. It was breathtaking to be up there and see City Hall.” She is interested in learning about family law, health law, and disability rights, but is keeping an open mind about other areas of law.

Lockman said she’s eager to explore the many extracurricular activities available at the law school, including Moot Court and the UC Law SF Journal. Lockman, who is half Peruvian, added that she’s considering joining the UC Law SF Latinx Law Students Association, “I feel like I’m coming in like a sponge, ready to absorb a lot.”