Meet Alysyn Martinez of the UC Law SF Journal on Gender & Justice

Alysyn Martinez ’23 is co-editor-in-chief of the UC Law San Francisco Journal on Gender & Justice.

Inspired by its non-traditional approach to legal scholarship, Alysyn Martinez ’23, co-editor-in-chief of the UC Law San Francisco Journal on Gender and Justice, talks about her organization and why she joined it.

Q: What is the UC Law SF Journal on Gender and Justice?

A: The Journal on Gender and Justice (JGJ) provides a forum for voices outside of the traditional scope of legal academic scholarship. Staffed entirely by students and volunteers, the journal publishes twice a year — giving its subscribers access to discussions on cutting-edge issues which many law journals either avoid or ignore. We are a progressive, diverse, open, and forward-looking collective of individuals working together to widen the scope of legal scholarship. The Journal offers an inclusive space for feminism, race theory, queer theory, multiculturalism, animal rights, disability rights, language rights, international human rights, criminal defendants’ rights, and human rights of people in prison, among others. These efforts have led the journal to be ranked 9th in the country among gender, women, and sexuality law journals.

Q: Why did you join this organization? What do you like about it?

A: I joined the JGJ because I deeply resonated with the journal’s mission to further discussions on gender in the law. The Journal has provided a community of like-minded individuals that share the same passions for furthering gender equality in the law. I also greatly appreciate the journal’s commitment to publishing student voices and more unconventional points of view. I am incredibly grateful to have worked with such wonderful team members and talented authors.

Q: How is this group furthering your career goals?

A: The opportunity to work on JGJ has helped me greatly improve my editing and Bluebooking skills, in addition to learning how to better manage a team as a co-editor-in-chief. The journal has provided me an outlet to ensure the issues of gender that I am passionate about are being heard and amplified in legal discourse.

Q: Talk a little bit about yourself and your journey to law school.

A: I am a Bay Area native; I was born in San Francisco and grew up in the South Bay. I am a first-generation college graduate of San José State University, where I majored in finance and minored in Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies. I worked in non-profit affordable housing for a few years before deciding to pursue law school, with the hopes of gaining the necessary skills to address systemic inequalities with a wider reach. I hoped law school would prepare me to work with system-impacted folks and policies to make the challenges of this world a bit more manageable.

For more information about the JGJ, email hjgl@uclawsf.edu.