Nicholas Keenan ’23 said he honed leadership skills and explored unique areas of business law as co-editor-in-cheif of the UC Law SF Business Journal.

Meet Nicholas Keenan ’23, co-editor-in-chief of the UC Law SF Business Journal.

Q: What is the UC Law SF Business Journal?

A: The UC Law SF Business Journal (UCLBJ) was established in 2005 and explores international and domestic events in the dynamic interplay between law and business. The journal is one of the top business law journals in the United States. It was cited by the U.S. Supreme Court in its landmark decision AT&T Mobility v. Concepcion (2011), as well as by the Delaware and Texas state supreme courts. Our content has also been cited in more than 350 other academic articles worldwide.

Q: Why did you join this organization? What do you like about it?

A: I joined this organization to gain more experience in legal writing and to make connections with likeminded law students. When coming to law school, it was very important for me to take on leadership opportunities and contribute to something greater than myself. I like UCLBJ because it has given me the opportunity to learn more about what interests me as a future attorney by exposing me to many unique areas of business law. My favorite part of UCLBJ has been forming relationships with students and alumni of the organization, who will be colleagues and friends for years to come.

Q: Talk about your journey to law school.

A: I grew up in Sonoma County and became familiar with San Francisco at a young age, often visiting my grandparents who have lived here since 1978. I completed my undergraduate schooling at UC Irvine, where I studied political science, focusing on law and policy. However, I always knew that I wanted to become a lawyer because I am the proud son of a first-generation female lawyer, my mom! My mother’s example inspired my passion for not only making a difference in people’s lives through quality legal representation, but also treating others with compassion and respect.

Q: Why UC Law San Francisco?

Attending UC Law SF has been the experience of a lifetime. Between the experiences of my classmates and the education provided by world class professors, I have learned so much more than I ever anticipated learning in law school. In a world like ours, I am reminded daily of the importance of producing truly exemplary lawyers – a feat which I believe UC Law SF is quite good at.

Q: How is this journal advancing your career goals?

A: The journal has given me an opportunity to improve my skills as a professional and team leader. Doctrinal courses alone simply do not prepare you to become a capable lawyer. Joining UCLBJ and taking on leadership roles has allowed me to develop skills truly essential to the legal profession. Many of the skills that I have developed as a leader in UCLBJ are directly transferable to such a career and improve my likelihood of success in what has become an extraordinarily competitive market. After law school, I plan to have a career in litigation.

Q: Why should other law students join this journal?

A: This organization is equipped to connect students with a great team and amazing authors. If you are a student at UC Law SF, be on the lookout for an email from Scholarly Publications regarding the Inter-Journal Writing Competition, and make sure to send a copy to UCLBJ so that you can join the team!

For more information about the UCLBJ, email hblj@uclawsf.edu.