UC Hastings accepts international exchange students from the following foreign universities:
- Austral University
- Bocconi University
- Bucerius Law School
- Copenhagen University
- Freie University
- Hitotsubashi University – Graduate School of International Corporate Strategy
- IE (Instituto de Empresa)
- International University College of Turin
- Leiden University
- National Taiwan University
- Peking University
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University
- Tel Aviv University
- University of Bergen
- University of New South Wales
- University of Paris II
- Vermont Law School
- Waseda Law School
- Yonsei University
Students from these universities are selected by their home schools to attend UC Hastings as exchange students for one semester or one academic year, depending on the exchange program. In most cases, credit for coursework is transferred back to the home university, and tuition fees are paid directly to the home university for the semester at UC Hastings.
Additional information on the UC Hastings for incoming foreign exchange students may be found on our Exchange Program Fact Sheet.
Information about course offerings at UC Hastings is available online at WebAdvisor. You do not need to login with a password. Select the Go Directly to Search for Sections link.
Health Insurance Requirements
IMPORTANT! UC Hastings requires all enrolled students to have health insurance coverage that meets UC minimum requirements. All students are automatically enrolled in and billed for UC’s student health insurance plan for graduate students. Estimated insurance premiums for the 2020-2021 academic year are $2,200 – $3,000 per semester. Students who have another insurance policy that meets and/or exceeds UC minimum requirements may apply for a health insurance waiver. Information on UC minimum requirements for health insurance for 2020-2021 is available in this Exchange Program Fact Sheet.
Please note that coverage under some foreign health insurance plans may not satisfy the minimum UC Hastings requirements. If a foreign exchange student applies for a waiver and the waiver is denied, the student will be billed for the UC health insurance plan for graduate students. No exceptions can be made to this requirement. Students should be sure that they are comfortable with the UC Hastings health insurance requirement before participating in the exchange program.
Final UC health insurance premiums and information on the health insurance waiver application process will be sent to admitted students several months prior to their program start date.
Information on fees and living costs for the 2020-2021 academic year may be found on the Exchange Program Fact Sheet.
For Nominated Exchange Students
Once your home university has nominated you to attend UC Hastings as an exchange student, you will need to complete the following admissions forms and return them to Global Programs at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Exchange Student Application Form
- A 2-3 page personal statement introducing yourself and telling us why you want to attend UC Hastings and what you hope to gain from your semester here. (If you already submitted a personal statement to your home university as part of the nomination process, you can use it to fulfill this requirement, provided it is in English.)
- Current Resume
- Recent Transcripts (with English translation)
- Documentation of the score from a recognized English language test (TOEFL, IELTS, or Cambridge) OR a signed letter from your institution which attests to your English language proficiency.
After we receive and approve your admissions forms, we contact you with detailed information about student visas, course registration, and other logistics. As part of the visa application process, you will be required to complete submit additional paperwork, including the following forms:
- Certificate of Financial Resources (Exchange Program) You will be asked to attach documentation (in English) such as letter from a bank, scholarship letter, family support letter, or other documents attesting to the availability of these adequate resources. If your parents and/or relatives are supporting you, they need to write a signed letter stating this and provide their bank letter.
- Dependent Exchange Form (if you are bringing your spouse and/or your children)
Please consult information on estimated living costs linked above to be sure that you will be able to document adequate resources for your term of study at UC Hastings.
Please note that UC Hastings does not offer on-campus housing for Exchange students. Once you have been accepted you will be sent more information about housing in San Francisco.
Please direct any questions to email@example.com.