The Certificate in Legal Research Program is designed to provide law students of all ability levels with the research tools necessary for success in internships, externships, summer associate positions, or for your first position as a newly-minted attorney.
About the Program
Students have the opportunity to select from a number of classes on different topics of research offered in both the Fall and Spring semesters. Topics cover a wide range of areas and will provide an excellent grounding as you begin to combine the knowledge gained in school with the actual practice of law. Students are free to attend as few or as many classes as desired; however, to complete the program, students must attend a minimum of 5 live classes and earn 100% on 12 quizzes, including quizzes in 8 required subject areas, by the time they graduate.
How do I earn it?
To earn the certification, a student must:
- Attend at least 5 live classes in person or on Zoom
- Earn 100% on the quiz in each of these 8 categories: (1) Secondary Sources Research, (2) Case Law Research OR Citators, (3) Statutory Research, (4) Free and Low Cost Research Alternatives, (5) Foreign Law Research OR International Law Research, (6) Federal Administrative Law Research OR California Administrative Law Research, (7) Federal Legislative History Research OR California Legislative History Research, and (8) Searching like an Expert
- Earn 100% on 4 additional quizzes on any topic
When are the classes?
In Fall 2021, this is the class schedule:
- Case Law Research: 9/7/21 (Tues.)
- Researching Statutes: 9/14/21 (Tues.)
- Using Citators to Update Your Research: 9/21/21 (Tues.)
- Federal Administrative Law: 9/28/21 (Tues.)
- Using Secondary Sources to Jumpstart Your Research: 10/5/21 (Tues.)
- Researching Foreign Law: 10/12/21 (Tues.)
- Federal Legislative History Research: 10/19/21 (Tues.)
- Social Science Research: 10/26/21 (Tues.)
All classes will take place in classroom 200-640 from 12:00 to 12:45 pm. No eating or drinking will be allowed during class, but a raffle for 2 $25 DoorDash gift cards will be held at the end of each class session.