Welcome Veterans!

New VA Students

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.

To determine eligibility for benefits, students must apply online on the VA website at www.gibill.va.gov. You must be enrolled for classes at UC Hastings before the Records Office can certify your enrollment to VAOnce.

After you have completed and submitted the form online, the Department of Veteran Affairs will send you a Certificate of Eligibility letter. Upon receipt of this letter, please send a copy of the Certificate of Eligibility to the Registrar’s Office.

Items Checklist: (The following paperwork must be submitted to the appropriate office before the certification process can begin.)

  1. Certificate of Eligibility
    (submit to the Records Office)

    •  For Veteran Readiness and Employment (formerly called Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment) only: Email records@uchastings.edu your VR&E counselor’s contact information (Full name, phone #, and email address).
  2. Veteran’s Certification Request form
    (submit to the Records Office)
  3. Residency Information and Application
    (submit to the Residency Office)
  4. UC Student Health Insurance Plan (UC SHIP)
    All students are automatically enrolled in and billed for UC SHIP every Fall. If you already have health insurance coverage, and that insurance plan meets the University of California minimum health care criteria, you may request to waive out of UC SHIP by submitting a waiver form online. Students who have successfully waived out of UC SHIP in the past, must re-submit new waivers every Fall.
    For more information, please refer to the Health Services Insurance Waiver webpage.
***NOTE***Anytime you change your units, whether it is an increase or decrease in status, it is your responsibility to let the Registrar’s office know. Failure to do so will result in overpayment or underpayment for your benefits. If you promptly notify the school and the VA of these changes, you can prevent or reduce overpayments.

Some of our current VA students are receiving benefits under the following programs:

Using Your Education Benefits at UC Hastings

Local Veteran’s Groups & Community Life

Useful Information from the VA Website

Additional Resources