No standardized test is required and applications are reviewed on a rolling basis starting October 1. The priority deadline for scholarship consideration is April 15. Enrollment is limited to the fall semester, which begins in early August. If you have any questions about the application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A completed MSL Application.
- A resume or curriculum vitae.
- Official undergraduate and/or graduate school transcripts.
- Transcripts can be mailed directly to UC Hastings from the institution in the original, sealed envelope or sent via mail from the student in the original, sealed envelope.
- Digital transcripts sent directly from the institution to MSLAdmissions@uchastings.edu are also accepted as official transcripts. Note that transcripts sent electronically by an applicant or an entity other than the institution cannot be accepted.
- If you have received your undergraduate degree from a country other than the U.S. or Canada and/or if you have attended a post-secondary institution outside the United States or Canada, you must have your transcripts evaluated by an approved foreign credential agency. For list of approved agencies, please see http://www.naces.org.
- A personal statement of 700 to 1,500 words explaining your interest in the MSL program. Please ensure that your first and last name appears on each page. The statement should be typed and double spaced.
- Two letters of recommendation from individuals familiar with your academic or professional background.
- Complete the top portion of the Letter of Recommendation Form and provide one copy to each recommender for them to complete. Recommendation letters and the accompanying completed Letter of Recommendation Form should be submitted directly from the recommender via email to MSLAdmissions@uchsatings.edu or from the applicant via mail in the recommender’s sealed, unopened envelope.
- A $75.00 non-refundable application fee made payable to UC Hastings Law. Payment may be made by check or online via credit card.
- International Applicants: Students applying for the MSL program who did not earn their Bachelors’ degrees (or equivalent) in an English-medium undergraduate program should submit an official TOEFL score report or an official IELTS score report. The UC Hastings code for TOEFL score reports is 4342. We require a minimum TOEFL score of 90 (iBT) or a minimum IELTS score of 7. Scores should be less than two years old.
Our mailing address is:MSL Admissions UC Hastings Law 200 McAllister Street San Francisco, CA 94102
Testimonial from Rita, MSL '14
“I value the time I spent in the UC Hastings MSL program. I wanted to learn more about law to help my research and work as a Professor of Philosophy and prelaw advisor. I published two articles and two book chapters based on what I learned in the many seminars I took, and I updated and expanded several of my courses. This course list was extensive, which makes the program especially valuable for academics.”