Thank you for submitting your initial application for UC Hastings Law. On this page, you will be able to complete the remaining steps of the MSL and CSL application process.
- The Priority Deadline for the MSL and CSL application is April 15th
- The Final Deadline to submit all MSL and CSL application materials is July 15th
- Use this link to pay your $75 non-refundable application fee: https://uchcdo.regfox.com/graduate-division-mslcsl-program-application-fee.
- If you would like to mail in your application fee, please send a check for $75 made out to UC Hastings Law to UC Hastings Graduate Admissions, 200 McAllister Street, San Francisco, CA 94102. You may also want to email us at either firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com to let us know that your check is in the mail.
Statement of Purpose and Resume Upload
- Statement of Purpose – Your statement of purpose should contain 700 to 1,500 words explaining your interest in the MSL or CSL program and how your career goals and/or work experience would be supplemented by study at UC Hastings Law. Statements should not exceed four pages, double-spaced, and must be typed. Statements will be evaluated for organization, content, and clarity.
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae – A one to two page resume or curriculum vitae reflecting education, academic achievements, employment, and professional activities
Two Letters of Recommendation (Required for MSL Applicants; Optional for CSL Applicants)
- For MSL applicants, UC Hastings requires that you submit two letters of recommendation. These letters can be from two professors or one professor and one current employer and should attest to your academic potential and preparedness. You will need to initiate a recommendation form for each recommendation letter.
- CSL applicants are welcome to submit up to two letters of recommendation, but letters are not a required part of the CSL application. You will need to initiate a recommendation form for each recommendation letter.
- For convenience, applicants can use the link below to have the required letter of recommendation form sent electronically to each of their recommenders and recommenders can upload their letters of recommendation electronically.
Official Academic Transcripts
- UC Hastings requires an official academic transcript from each community college, university, or professional school previously attended, whether or not you graduated from the institution.
- Please have official, sealed copies of your transcript(s) sent directly to the UC Hastings Admissions Office at 200 McAllister Street, San Francisco, CA 94102.
- Digital transcripts sent directly from the institution to MSLAdmissions@uchastings.edu or CSLAdmissions@uchatsings.edu are also accepted as official transcripts.
- Note that transcripts sent electronically by an applicant or an entity other than the institution cannot be accepted. Faxed or emailed transcripts or transcripts that have been opened by the applicant will not be considered official.
- Optional but highly recommended: Applicants who have received their undergraduate degree from a country other than the U.S. or Canada can have their transcripts evaluated by an approved foreign credential agency. For a list of approved agencies, please see http://www.naces.org.
For International Applicants
- Students applying for the MSL or CSL program who did not earn their Bachelors’ degrees (or equivalent) in an English-medium undergraduate program should submit an official TOEFL score report or an official IELTS score report. The UC Hastings code for TOEFL score reports is 4342. Scores should be less than two years old.
- Optional by highly recommended: Students who have received their undergraduate degree from a country other than the U.S. or Canada can have their transcripts evaluated by an approved foreign credential agency. For a list of approved agencies, please see http://www.naces.org.
Need-Based Grant Assistance (Optional)
- In an effort to assist MSL & CSL students with the cost of attendance, we are proud to be able to provide a small number of partial-tuition waiver grants. The grants are awarded based on an assessment of your financial need. Grant requests will not affect admissions decisions. To be considered for a grant, you must answer all of the questions in the Need-Based Grant Application (link below).
- Estimated tuition for the UC Hastings MSL degree and CSL program for the academic year is $1,625 per academic unit.* In addition to tuition, students must pay additional mandatory administrative fees, and obtain health insurance satisfactory to the University of California.
* Completion of the MSL degree requires satisfactory completion of at least 24 credits. Completion of CSL program requires satisfactory completion of at least 12 credits. Tuition is subject to legislative, gubernatorial, and UC Hastings Board of Directors action. Tuition and fees may change without notice.
Thank you again for your interest in studying at UC Hastings Law. You can expect to receive your admissions decision with 2-3 weeks of our receiving all parts of your completed application, including your transcript(s) and your letters of recommendation if you are an MSL applicant. If you have any questions about the application process or your application submissions, please do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Graduate Division Admissions Team
UC Hastings Law