All registered UC Hastings students pay a mandatory Health Services fee allowing access to in-clinic healthcare and counseling services provided by Student Health Services. However, only enrollees in UC SHIP have coverage for medical, mental health, dental, vision, prescription and travel insurance benefits provided by the Plan.
Student Health Insurance is included in your tuition fees.
The annual cost is divided into two payments, one for the Fall semester and one for the Spring/Summer semesters. Summer coverage is included for all students registered for Fall and Spring semesters. The estimated insurance premiums for the 2019-2020 academic year are $2,107 for the Fall and $2,951 for the Spring/Summer, for a total of $5,058.
UC SHIP Dates of Coverage 2019-2020
Spring/Summer 2019 Dates
- August 6, 2019 – End of coverage date for all students
Fall 2019 Dates
- August 4, 2019 – LEOP students
- August 5, 2019 – LLM students
- August 7, 2019 – 2L’s 3L’s
- August 12, 2019 – 1L’s, Foreign Exchange, MSL, Transfer students
- January 6, 2020 – End of coverage date for all students
Spring/Summer 2020 Dates
- January 6, 2020 – New Foreign Exchange and Transfer students
- January 7, 2020 – All returning students
- August 10, 2020 – End of coverage date for all students (tentative)
In order to see a healthcare practitioner outside of Student Health Services, you must get a referral from a SHS medical/counseling practitioner. If you do not have a SHS referral, your insurance will not cover the cost of any visits outside of Student Health Services. Please call 415.565.4612 to schedule an appointment to meet with a doctor so that you can discuss referrals. Please note: Student Health Services referrals are not required during term breaks and summers when the SHS is closed.
Eligible to Enroll
Graduating students who are currently enrolled in UC SHIP may enroll in the Voluntary Graduate Student Health Insurance Plan (Voluntary UC SHIP) for one semester after graduating. Coverage is elected by term. To enroll, complete the Voluntary UC SHIP 2019-2020 Continuation Plan Enrollment Form and submit payment directly to Academic HealthPlans (address and fax listed on form). The 2019- 2020 form will be posted as soon as it is available.
Eligible dependents must complete a UC SHIP 2019-2020 Dependent Enrollment Form, submit payment directly to Academic HealthPlans (address listed on form).
- For spouse, marriage certificate
- For same-sex/opposite-sex domestic partner, a Declaration of Domestic Partnership issued by the State of California, or of same-sex legal union other than marriage formed in another jurisdiction, or a completed Declaration of Domestic Partnership form issued by the University. Please note: Opposite-sex partners are eligible for domestic partnership only if one or both partners are age 62 or older and eligible for Social Security benefits based on age
- For a biological child, a birth certificate showing the student is the parent of the child
- For stepchild, a birth certificate, and a marriage certificate showing that one of the parents listed on the birth certificate is married to the student
- For an adopted or foster child, documentation from the placement agency showing that the student has the legal right to control the child’s health care
Students enrolled in UC SHIP may enroll their dependents in the plan. Dependents must be re-enrolled each semester. Please note that, unlike student re-enrollment, dependent re-enrollment is not automatic. Dependent benefits differ from student benefits. To learn more about UC SHIP Dependent Benefits, see the UC SHIP 2018-2019 Dependent Medical Plan Summary Enrollment Form. 2019- 2020 plan documents will be posted as soon as they are available.
Visiting students participating in UC Hastings programs but enrolled at another college or university are not eligible for coverage under the UC SHIP.