Students seeking to waive UC SHIP coverage can submit all documentation through the fully automated website of our new waiver administrator, Academic HealthPlans (AHP). Learn more.
The waiver system for the Fall 2019 semester will open on June 25, 2019. Enrolled students can apply for the Insurance Waiver online. Login in to the waiver form here by using your UC Hastings email address and password.
UC Hastings requires all enrolled students to have health insurance coverage. UC Hastings has partnered with the University of California to offer students access to the UC SHIP. If you have other major medical health insurance that meets the minimum standards established by the University and don’t wish to have the advantages of dual coverage, then you can submit an online Health Insurance Waiver form to discontinue your enrollment in UC SHIP and receive a credit for the health insurance fee. All approved waiver submissions will be audited. You will be required to upload a copy of your medical ID card (front and back) and insurance policy in order to submit a waiver.
All students are automatically enrolled in and billed for UC SHIP every Fall. Fall waivers are good for an entire academic year. Students who have successfully waived out of UC SHIP in the past must re-submit new waivers every Fall. Remember, all students can use Student Health Services, whether they have UC SHIP or not.
Considering waiving out of Student Health Insurance?
- If you already have health insurance coverage, and that insurance plan meets the University of California minimum health care criteria, you may request to waive out of UC SHIP by submitting a waiver form online (see the top of this page). Before you complete the waiver form, first verify your current insurance plan provides primary care and emergency care within a 30 mile radius of where you live while attending UC Hastings. Some insurance plans require that you visit their own network providers to receive care, and in some cases, such networks may not be available within the San Francisco Bay Area.
- If you have verified that network coverage is available within 30 miles radius of your residence while attending UC Hastings, please complete the waiver criteria worksheet prior to proceeding. If you do not have the answers to the questions listed on the worksheet, you should contact your insurance company to collect all the information prior to completing the online waiver form.
Academic HealthPlans (AHP) is the new plan administrator for UC SHIP that processes all enrollments and waivers. Please contact AHP at UCSHIP@AHPservice.com or 1-855-428-0726 for the following items:
- To enroll yourself and/or dependent(s) into UC SHIP
- To check the status of your enrollment(s)
- To check the status of your waiver submission
- You encountered an error while waiving
Waivers must be submitted each academic year.