BILL GRAHAM CIVIC AUDITORIUM
99 GROVE STREET | SF
When people achieve milestones in life as momentous as graduating from law school, it is a commonplace truism that they did not get there on their own. It takes a community. In fact, it takes many communities. We come together at Commencement to celebrate all of these communities. If you have questions, please contact Student Services Commencement Team at 415-565-4773 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Please read the answers to your frequently asked questions to ensure we have a smooth and happy celebration.
How long is the ceremony? What should I wear?
The ceremony lasts for approximately 2 hours. The dress code for guests is business or business casual attire.
Do I need to purchase tickets for Commencement?
Commencement is a ticketed event, but entry is free. All guests must have their own ticket, except for children under the age of 4. Each student will automatically receive 15 tickets, with additional tickets to be available upon request.
The distribution will occur closer to the time of Commencement.
How do I get to Bill Graham Civic Auditorium?
Getting around in the city and finding parking can take longer than you anticipate. Please plan accordingly.
Via South Bay
North on Interstate 101. Take the Civic Center exit to 9th Street. Travel north on 9th.This street turns into Larkin Street as it crosses Market Street. Take Larkin 1 block to Grove Street. Bill Graham Civic Auditorium is on Grove between Polk and Larkin. Grove Street will be closed between Polk and Larkin.
Via the Bay Bridge
Take the Civic Center exit to 9th Street. Travel north on 9th.This street turns into Larkin Street as it crosses Market Street. Take Larkin one block to Grove Street. Bill Graham Civic Auditorium is on Grove between Polk and Larkin. Grove Street will be closed between Polk and Larkin
Via the Golden Gate Bridge
Take the Lombard Street exit to Van Ness Ave. Turn right on Van Ness and travel south to Grove Street. This will be approximately two miles. Turn left on Grove St. Bill Graham Civic Auditorium is on Grove between Polk and Larkin. Grove Street will be closed between Polk and Larkin.
Is there public transit to the event?
Because of the large number of people attending Commencement, you are encouraged to take public transportation or a taxi.
Via BART, Muni or Metro
Exit at the Civic Center Station once in the Station exit to the U.N. Plaza. Once in the plaza, walk to Hyde Street. Turn left 1 block onto Grove. Continue two blocks on Grove. Bill Graham Civic Auditorium is on your left.
From 4th St & King St
Take the K/T toward Balboa Park Station via Downtown or the N toward The Beach via Downtown to the Civic Center Station
Go north on Polk St. Turn right onto Grove St. Bill Graham Civic Auditorium is on your right.
Is there a place to park by the venue?
If you must drive, here are some parking options:
- UC Hastings Parking Garage, 376 Larkin Street (at Golden Gate Avenue), 415.355.9618.
Please consult this page for hourly rates:http://sites.uchastings.edu/garage/parking-rates/
- Civic Center Garage
355 McAllister Street (between Polk and Larkin, adjacent to the venue), 415.863.1537. Please consult this page for hourly rates:
- SOMA Grand Parking Garage 1160 Mission Street (between 7th and 8th Streets), (415) 863-8722
What time should guests arrive?
- There will be metal detectors at each door, so please allow sufficient time to be checked in.
- There will be metal detectors and security for checking bags, so long lines my form at one door but not another. Guests should find a door that doesn’t have a line.
- Early Seating starts 1.5 hours prior to the event at the doors on Grove Street closest to Larkin. There is no special seating after the doors open an hour prior to the event.
- General Seating starts an hour before the event at the middle doors on Grove Street.
- There are ADA seating sections on the main floor and upstairs.
- We do not encourage guests to save seats.
What do I do with my bag, backpack, or purse?
Leave those at home. There are no places to store such items at Bill Graham.
Will there be a place to leave strollers, walkers, etc. during the event?
Yes, there will be a Wheel Check area on the first floor. Strollers, walkers, wheelchairs, etc., that would be in the way during the ceremony may be checked.
What items are prohibited in the venue?
- Objects that can be used as projectiles, such as glow sticks and Poi Balls
- Illegal substances
- Posters or Signs Larger than 8.5″x11″
- Wallet chains or spikes
- Weapons of any kind
- Selfie sticks or handles
- Tablets and iPads
- Glass bottles, containers or cans
- Laser pointers
- Large banners or posters
- Skateboards, scooters or personal motorized vehicles
- Pets (with the exception of service animals)
- Helium balloons
Will Spanish interpretive services be available?
If you anticipate needing Spanish interpretive services, please reach out to email@example.com.