UC Hastings College of the Law prohibits discrimination against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, gender transition status, sex- or gender-stereotyping, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, medical condition (e.g. cancer-related or genetic characteristics), genetic information (including family medical history), ancestry, marital status, citizenship, or service in the uniformed services, including protected veterans. This policy is intended to be consistent with applicable state and federal laws and the law school’s policies. A limited, express exception to this policy is made by the UC Hastings Board of Directors for the U.S. military.
UC Hastings College of the Law subscribes to the Americans with Disabilities Act. If you need reasonable accommodations, to attend a campus event, please call the Disabilities Accommodations Hotline at (415) 565-4848 or e-mail your request to DAH@uchastings.edu no later than 72 hours before the event.
Standards for Timing of Offers and Decisions
UC Hastings College of the Law is a member of the National Association of Law Placement (“NALP”). NALP Principles & Standards are guidelines that set forth an ethical framework for law student recruiting for law schools, legal employers and law students. On December 12, 2018, NALP announced the elimination of their prior recruiting timing guidelines. The law school is currently reviewing and formulating its recruiting policies in light of these changes. In the meantime, the law school requests that employers adhere to the NALP Principles & Standards that were previously in place. The text of these Principles and Standards can be found here.
Job Posting Standards
UC Hastings College of the Law reserves the right to edit job postings without notice to meet guidelines or to remove inappropriate questions and/or language. The law school reserves the right to remove a job posting for any reason and without notice.
The law school cannot make an assessment of whether unpaid positions posted comply with Federal and State wage and hour requirements to be true trainee positions. For further information, see the U.S. Department of Labor Wage and Hour Division’s Fact Sheet #71: Internship Programs under the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Employers are requested to provide timely responses to applicants regarding the receipt of their application materials and their candidacy status.
The Career Development Office of UC Hastings College of the Law will provide reasonable access to resources for alumni of law schools outside of the San Francisco Bay Area per the following policy:
- Reciprocity is available to alumni of those ABA-accredited law schools that allow UC Hastings alumni to use their facilities. Reciprocity is granted on a one-for-one basis and lasts for three months or until July 15, whichever comes first. (Please note that we are not able to approve all requests.)
- Reciprocity services include only remote access* to the online job board and in-person access to the Career office resource library. Counseling, student jobs, and participation in on-campus interviews (aka OCIs) are not included. Please note *remote access* to the online job board (via Symplicity) is possible if the requesting school will offer the same to UC Hastings alumni. Access is also “browse-only” (i.e., documents cannot be uploaded to Symplicity).
- When applying for jobs, all grantees are required to include in their cover letter that they have online access to the UC Hastings Symplicity job board via Reciprocity.
- Requests for reciprocity must be made in writing via email by a career services official from the home law school and should indicate the alum’s name, email address, phone number, and grad year. Approval for reciprocity must be granted in writing from the Career Development Office at UC Hastings College of the Law. NO drop-in visits.
Requests should be addressed to: Reciprocity Coordinator, Career Development Office UC Hastings College of the Law 200 McAllister Street San Francisco, CA 94102 email@example.com
- RECIPROCITY IS CLOSED from July 15 through November 15 each year due to the Fall Recruiting Season.