- SecureHastings is the College’s wireless network and extends to most student study areas.
- Hastingsplay is for personal wireless devices (Xbox, Apple Tv, etc.) that cannot connect to the SecureHastings wireless network. To access and register for the hastingsplay wireless network, log into the Intranet and click and then click on the link entitled “Wireless Devices Register” to attach an Apple TV, Roku, Chromecast, Game Console or Smart TV to our Internet Connection.
- HastingsGuest is provided for all visitors of the UC Hastings College of the Law campus for wireless Internet.
- Eduroam allows you to Use your UC Hastings Wi-Fi authentication at any eduroam hotspot in the world and join instantly and securely.
Located in room 440 of the 200 McAllister Street building, the IT HelpDesk can help with accessing the wireless network, email, Office troubleshooting and exam software support. Adjacent to the IT Help Desk is the Instructional Media Services Department, which provides classroom and instructional media support for the UC Hastings Campus.
You can check your email and calendar online through the Outlook Web App (OWA). Your username is your UC Hastings email address, your password is your email password. The steps are:
- Go to OWA.
- Username is your UC Hastings email address (@uchastings.edu” appended.) Special note: for most UC Hastings login situations, you do not add “@uchastings.edu” after your user name.
- Password: Enter your email password
- Domain\Username: email@example.com
- Password: your Hastings password
- Server: outlook.office365.com
Faculty, Staff and Students can install Microsoft Office for both Windows and Mac on up to 5 computers for free via Office365. These licenses expire approximately one year after you leave UC Hastings.
UC Hastings College of the Law provides all current students, faculty and staff with a Box account to store, share, and access your files online. Use your UC Hastings username and password to login to Box. Visit our Box page on the intranet for Box tips and how-to’s.
OneDrive is a cloud-based file syncing service that replicates files, in real-time, among multiple digital devices, as well as in the cloud. This means that any files in your OneDrive folder get automatically synchronized to all devices where OneDrive is installed and configured with your UC Hastings credentials. This is a great way to simplify how you access files, as well as increase data integrity because the files live in multiple places. Consult our OneDrive page for more information on how to install.
Pcounter is the printing system on campus. Students will find Xerox multi-function printers (MFPs) throughout the Library, in the Gold Reading Room, in the 198 McAllister basement and in the McAllister Tower lobby. Use your Hastings Email Username and Password to send print jobs to the MFPs and to add money to your printing account. Instructions for student printing are available on the Printing for Students page on the Intranet.
IT supplies phones and voice mail for offices on campus. Do not move telephone equipment if you are moving to a new office. Email HelpDesk@uchastings.edu and the IT department will move your number for you.
Various guides and instructions for Faculty and Staff on how to use the UC Hastings voicemail and telephone system are available on the intranet.
Skype for Business Online is available for all Students, Faculty, and Staff. Instructions for Skype for Business are on the Intranet.
Faculty, Staff and Students can install Microsoft Office for both Windows and Mac on up to 5 computers for free via Office365. These licenses expire approximately one year after you leave UC Hastings. Instructions for how to download Office are available on the Intranet.
If you are a Faculty or Staff member and require special software packages, please contact the HelpDesk.
The following acceptable use policy covers use of E-mail and other Hastings computer resources. Use of such resources constitutes acceptance of this policy.
Hastings College of the Law provides computing resources, including E-mail, in support of the College’s mission of teaching, research, and community service. Use of Hastings computing resources constitutes acceptance of this policy and agreement to comply with this policy. In addition, you should be aware that there is no guarantee of privacy or confidentiality with regard to E-mail/Internet communications.
Users of Hastings computing resources must respect the rights of other users, including the rights of copyright holders, abide by the security needs of the systems, and conform their behavior to all relevant laws, regulations, and contractual obligations of the College. In addition, all College regulations and policies apply, including the Student Code of Conduct, Academic Regulations, and the Staff Personnel Manual. Misuse of Hastings computing, networking, or information resources may result in disciplinary action. Additionally, misuse can be prosecuted under applicable state and federal statutes defining computer crime.
Confidential Information may be collected and/or maintained through the use of the College’s electronic mail system, e-mail. Hastings employees should be cognizant that the Hastings e- mail system is for conducting business by or on behalf of the College although employees may send or receive personal messages via e-mail and the College reserves the right at all times to access employee e-mail messages. Employees should not access the e-mail of or use the e-mail credentials of another employee unless otherwise authorized by the Chancellor and Dean or the General Counsel.
Access to Hastings’ computer systems and networks is provided through the use of individually assigned unique computer passwords. Passwords should be shared with other individuals only when the access provided by such passwords is limited to a specific electronic information resource, when such sharing is essential to the continuity of an authorized business practice associated with that information resource, and when the other User is authorized to at least the same level of access privilege. Passwords to Essential or Restricted databases containing Confidential Information including student data, personnel data, and/or fiscal data, such as provided by Datatel Systems, shall not be shared. When there is a need for shared passwords, the appropriate department manager and the DIT shall be responsible for authorizing and setting up specific accounts for that purpose. Each individual is responsible for all computer activity performed under his/her assigned password.
Policy on Spam
We have provided email services at Hastings to facilitate official communications between the school, its departments (including student organizations), faculty, staff, and students. Any email message that is unofficial and unsolicited is considered “spam” and represents an inappropriate use of Hastings computer resources.
Announcements from Hastings offices (the Records Office, Career Services, Student Services, the Academic Dean’s Office, your faculty advisor), and any student group to which you belong that uses email is a legitimate means of communication.
Information Security Program
Click here to download the Information Security Program Policy at UC Hastings.
The IT Help Desk will make a reasonable effort to repair computers that are owned by the law school and provided to employees of the College. The Help Desk assumes no responsibility for personal data on a computer that is presented to the Desk for repair. Employees are responsible for backing up personal files. Instructions for backing up work files are available from the Hastings website. Further, the Help Desk will not take responsibility for restoring personally owned or unlicensed software to any law school computer.
Tampering with software protections or restrictions placed on computers owned by the College is not allowed. In the repair process, all College-required applications will be restored. While respecting users’ privacy to the fullest extent possible, the Help Desk reserves the right to delete any damaging computer files.
Every effort will be made to insure the timely handling of equipment left for repair, however, depending on the extent of the damage, or pending the acquisition of repair parts, the Help Desk cannot commit to a certain time frame for restoration of hardware. The Help Desk may offer a loaner laptop for use during the duration of a repair. Safeguarding the integrity of the loaner equipment, and the data and software provided with it is the responsibility of the borrower. Any data or software stored or installed on a loaner laptop will be deleted from the loaner laptop upon its return to the Help Desk.
While the Hastings IT Help Desk would like to provide support to all students and employees for any personal computer or mobile device they may own, it is not practical to do so. IT cannot take responsibility for repairing an employee or student’s personal computer or other personal equipment. The Help Desk can provide guidance on how to access the wireless network, setup email, and install Microsoft Office on personal devices. Also available to students is help with the Examsoft SofTest software used during midterms and finals. Again, it is the responsibility of the equipment owner to back up all data, software, information, or other stored files on their personal device. The IT Help Desk shall not be responsible under any circumstance for any loss or corruption of data and/or software, nor breach of warranty.
University of California Hastings College of the Law is a member of various identity and access management federations. These organizations facilitate access to IT resources that are being shared among different institutions. Details are below:
- About InCommon
- UC Hastings Participant Operational Practices (POP) is on file with the IT Office. Contact the HelpDesk for a copy.
- UC Hastings Responses to University of California Identity Management Federation Service Description and Policies, March 27, 2007, Section 9
- UC Hastings OID Registry:
- The University of California Hastings College of the Law IANA Private Enterprise Number is 41188. The entire prefix is 184.108.40.206.4.1.41188.
- The urn:oid:220.127.116.11.4.1.41188.1 Namespace
- UC Hastings has designated the 18.104.22.168.4.1.41188.1 arc of OIDs for the purpose of identifying University of California Hastings College of the Law LDAP attributes. Because of this assignment, the 22.214.171.124.4.1.41188.1 namespace has also been designated to identify the corresponding SAML-2 attributes.
|126.96.36.199.4.1.41188.1.1||ucHastingsStudentID||a seven-digit number|
MyHastings is the Intranet for UC Hastings.
- Canvas Canvas contains class syllabi, course materials, class rosters, class discussion boards, and classroom email lists.
- WebAdvisor WebAdvisor allows you to register for classes, check your grades, find textbooks required for your courses, and view your exam number.
- SeatGEN SeatGEN, available from Canvas is a web-based photo seating chart system where you may assign yourself a seat.
- Poll Everywhere Poll Everywhere is a classroom polling tool used by some professors at UC Hastings. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a free account.
- PACE PACE - Professor and Course Evaluations. Toward the end of each semester, students complete professor and course evaluations (“PACE”) in class and online.
- Panopto Panopto is the lecture capture solution at UC Hastings. In addition to recording classroom presentations, Panopto also provides easy-to-use personal presentation capturing software, allowing users to record, edit, and share their own recordings.
- Hoonuit Hoonuit (pronounced "who knew it") is a free service available to all Hastings students, faculty and staff, providing a robust library of eLearning tutorials.